Search This Blog

Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Road Named Surrender







Proverbs 23
No one tells you the name of the road, only that you have to walk it by yourself, no one else can walk it for you... so the song goes.

Recently heard this quote, "Life is not about the journey, but about the connections you make along the way." So true don't you think? So to remember that we are not really alone is a good thing, but to also know that we do walk along alone in so much of life is also a good thing. For then we know that we need to gain the resources it takes to be a vibrant, living, well human being. Be thankful for family and friends who walk with you through the storms of life, but know that we really are on our own on so many varied levels.




Fishing Friends Parade by Katie Sperry
Also, my friend Josie has this emblazoned on a plaque decorating a wall in her home, "Life is measured by every moment that takes your breath away." Probably true as well?

At this juncture, i am of a mind, that life is all about one thing, that is being one surrendered life. Thinking about the journey, leads me to relate a recent personal discovery. Which is the name of the road. Are you ready, (drum roll) It's name must be ..... "Surrender". We have it seems, at least most people I have been privileged to know have, an innate desire to be "The Master of Ones Own Universe", but truth be told, unseen hands plot against that happening at every turn. Life is designed to be full of many things that can include, but are not limited to: triumph, trial, error, joys, despair, restoration, happiness, unhappiness, loss, fear, challenges, hopes, hopelessness, dreams, failure, success. Yes, and then we arrive again and again, at this very important one, it is a constant, the question of surrender.

A prayer of surrender could go like this,
"Lord, I surrender to you my hopes, my dreams, my life, everything I want to be, everything I am not, everything i need to be, everything i hope to be, everything I think you want me to be, what I am, what everyone else wants me to be (etc.), I surrender them all to you."

First hand, I can tell you that as we pray a prayer similar to that one, a sense of greater peace and resource rises within. Relaxing a tightfisted grip on the process of life, trusting God enough for us to realize His grip on us ushers us to the places we need to be in heart and mind.



Happy traveling,

k.t.

John 3:16

No comments: